Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Check out these great Holiday recipes!

So did everybody have a good Thanksgiving?  I know ours was great!

Now, I know the holiday is over, but I wanted to share with you some recipes that I tried and were really fabulous!  These would be great to pin for next year or for those who do the traditional  Christmas dinner these will definetly be a welcomed addition.

The first was the Sweet Potatoes, yum!

Oh my Heavens ! Southern Sweet Potato Bread Pudding with Pecan Crumblehttp://www.pinterest.com/pin/46865652346399286/

The only thing I changed on this was to cut it in half.  Now this is really sweet, but to me not that sugary sweet of standard marshmellow topped casseroles.  Also, I really liked the texture of this dish, since it had some body to it!

Next, was the stuffing!  Now you have to realize that we have a family recipe that has been around forever that we all love.  So to say the least I was a little weary to try something new.  The thing is this was a crockpot recipe and I love the idea of using my crockpot and not taking up oven space or having to keep something warm.  And this recipe is very similar to my family recipe so I decided to give it a try. 

Miz Helen's Country Cottage: Slow Cooker Cornbread Dressing
I am so glad that I did!  I really liked this stuffing, but I have to tell you that I did make some changes from this original recipe here.  I did cut the milk in half.  I also used Progesso's Tuscany chicken broth and, of course, I used Old Bay for my poultry seasoning.  The most distinct change that I made, though, was to the cooking.  I did cook it for 2 hours on high, but after an hour on low it just looked WAY to runny for my family's taste.  So I pulled it out of the crockpot liner and put it into a baking dish.  Then I just popped it into the oven with the sweet potatoes!

It browned up beautifully on top and firmed up wonderfully!  Now, I must tell you that I truly love crockpot liners, but I do feel that thing have a tendency to just stay juicier in them.  So my problem with the consistency could very well be just me.  Either way, I was thrilled with the final product!

No comments:

Post a Comment