Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Burlap Frames



Hey, are you still looking for a few more handmade gifts for under your Christmas tree?  Well today I have a great one that is easy and fairly quick.  Though, I must tell you anytime that you start cutting burlap it gets messy quickly so be sure and work someplace that is easily vacuumed or even outside, weather permitting.


What you will need is a frame (mine is flat and wooden), burlap cut big enough to cover your frame and have a little extra all the way around.  Then for adhesive you will need a spray adhesive and a glue gun.  And don't forget the scissors and decoration.

Now, I have to tell you that my frame was, well, ugly when I bought it.  I had already sanded it down and given it a coat of primer by the time I took this picture.  Maybe you will get lucky and find something already in the shape to be covered.


I sprayed both the frame and burlap outside, according to the cans direction.  Be sure you do this step outside preferably or in a REALLY well ventilated area.  This is some stinky stuff.  Then you want to smooth the burlap over the frame.  When you do this you want to check out the lines of the fabric.  No, I would not drive myself crazy to make them perfect, but your end result will be better if it doesn't look like it is all running down hill!

Now you can start folding the material over the edge.  I start in the center on opposite sides and as I go I spread a thin bead of hot glue along the back edge of the side and up each corner.  This will keep the burlap from unraveling once you trim it.  Then trim the excess material.  Now do the same thing to the other two sides.




Once the sides are secured and trimmed you will want to do the same thing in the inside.  As you can see I cut a straight line in the center first, then diagonally into each corner.  You are going to see as you are securing the burlap that the inside corners will not be completely covered.  Trust me it will look fine once the frame is reassembled with glass and picture.  Just make sure that you have it glued well and that you trim the burlap so that the glass can fit in flush.


Finally, embellish with your decoration and your frame is completed.  I really love the finished look of these!  I actually made some extras and will add them to our etsy inventory http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheEssenceOfSSS?ref=search_shop_redirect 

Note:  Please be sure to follow the directions on your spray adhesive.  And never forget to respect the glue gun!  It really is hot and you may want to use something like a plastic ruler to press your burlap down.  The weave is so loose that it can get you pretty quick!

No comments:

Post a Comment