Wednesday, December 4, 2013

A Great Little Receipt Folder to keep you Organized for Christmas




Let's face it the idea of returning or exchanging something after Christmas makes most of us just cringe!  And if you are like me the worst part isn't even the traffic or the lines.  The worst part is finding the receipts!  Well, at least, that was the case until a few years ago when I started keeping a receipt folder.

So today I want to share with you how to make a quick and easy receipt folder that you can personalize any way you like.

First, we are going to start with our supplies, standard size envelopes, cardstock (I like to use 2 coordinating pieces), a stapler, adhesive, scissors, ruler, a punch, and a paper clip clasp.

 
I always start by folding my envelopes in half and stacking them.  Once they are stacked I fold them together and cut off the ends.

 
Once they are all trimmed they will fit into the stapler.  So staple them in the crease.  And add adhesive to the center envelopes.  This covers the staples and when I open my folder it doesn't flop open.  Now I take one card stock and cut it just a smudge larger than the width of my envelopes and about an inch longer on either end.
 
Now, here is an important part.  You want to fold the cardstock at the fold of the envelopes, as well as, about half an inch away from that fold.  This will give your envelopes room to plump up from all those gift receipts!
 
Just some tips on the folding, you can use a fancy bone tool to get really crisp lines, but if you are like me and doing this for yourself eyeball it.  Or use you ruler and run it back and forth a few times to get a quick folding line.

It is time for the adhesive.  This can be a tape runner, double sided tape, glue stick, or glue gun.  You decide, I used some double sided tape this year.  Attach the last envelope on each end to your cardstock. 

Now, grab your coordinating cardstock and cut it the width of your original cardstock.  For the length you want it to have about and inch over your first cardstock, plenty of room for hanging over front and back, as well as, an extra half to one inch.

If you look at the picture you can see that I glued the back.  (Then forgot to give myself the inch clearance on top so this one will have a tight fit once I am filling it.)  Then I made the same folds on the top cardstock as I made on the bottom.  Finally, attach your clasp to the front and make sure it all closes well.
 


You have successfully made it through the hard stuff.  Okay, not really hard, but the hardest part of this project (that is if you still know where your receipts are for this year :).

Lastly, lets put in your tabs.  I punched six red cardstock and three white (really just my coordinating paper flipped over).  Then I cut the white ones in half and attached them to the red ones.  Now attach the other half of the tab to each envelope.



It is a lot easier to label your tabs before you attach them.  Now you are done!  I hope this helps your holidays run smoothly!

Are you still with me?  Now I know that several of my girlfriends are rolling their eyes and fussing that I love crafting just a little to much.  GUILTY!  I cannot begin to tell you how opening my purse and seeing my little goodie made just for me by me makes me feel!  But lets face it not everybody feels the same.  So for the non-crafters :( out there you can also adapt a small coupon organizer to do the same thing.  No, this does not bring joy to my heart in the same way, but this is how I got started.  So give it a try in a pinch! 

Technical glitch:  I understand right now people can't leave comments.  Please know I am now aware of this and trying to correct it.  Also, I would love for you to sign up to follow me at the top of the page!  Thanks again for your patience!

No comments:

Post a Comment