Friday, December 13, 2013

Christmas is on the Horizon

Okay, are you guys ready for Christmas?  I am actually really close! 

So I thought I would take just a moment to share some of our Christmas with all of you!

I used my decorative box that I love so much again!  This time I built my advent wreath in it.  I know not actually round, but I love the final look.


It really added something nice to the side table in my dining room.


This is the neighbor and teacher gifts I made this year.  The baggie holds a great simmering potpourri that I made using a recipe I, of course, found on pinterest, though I did make quite a few changes to the original recipe.  Mine goes like this:

2-3 slices each of dehydrated orange, lemon, and apple
3 cinnamon sticks
1 nutmeg
2 tbs. whole cloves
1 tbs. whole allspices

It really fills the house with a lovely aroma and I think it just keeps getting better each day.  Yes, I just leave it on the oven and add water to re-heat it when I think about it.

The teachers gifts were double-walled glasses that I found. Then I simply sewed black ribbon onto white felt and added the belt buckle.  On top I added a ribbon and a cute ornament.  Inside I placed a bag of the simmering potpourri.

Have you seen the ornaments with the Mop and Glow and glitter?  I kept seeing them and really liked the look, but to be honest I was worried about how well they would hold up.  Well I made these back in October and they still look great!  I have to say I am really pleased with them.  Though, to be honest I don't use Mop and Glow so I bought it specifically for this project.  It was pricier than I normally would like to spend and used VERY little of it.  So my thought is find a friend who wants to do them too and split the cost or be prepared to make a LOT of them.  Just me thinking out loud.

I love for my nativity to be center stage in my Christmas decorations.  So, I love to spread it out across the antique buffet that we inherited from my husband's grandmother.  (Now, I am busted that the TV is the center of my living room too.  It is the way we live.)  Over the 12 days following Christmas the Christ Child will make His appearance in the manger and all of my pieces will come into the middle. Don't you love the stocking hangars my husband made me a few years ago!  I just wish that they were black.
 

Lastly, these are my presents this year!  Yes, I spent a little more time than usual, but I loved the look of these.  And, as usual, I took a few short cuts.  I used white and silver duct tape with black electrical tape.  Now this was all stuff I had around my house.  The only things I bought was the all red paper (thank you Nutcracker Market) and some black ribbon for the larger packages where I doubled the white tape.  I also, did not wrap it all the way around. To afraid I would run out before I got through them all.  I did eventually wrap some in solid white paper and add red tape.  They all got a ribbon tail with the recipients name on it.  Still have a few more to wrap, but they will follow the same suit (haha!).

Hope your Christmas is coming along nicely with plenty of time to enjoy the real joy of the season!  I look forward  to sharing a few more moments with you before the big day!  Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment