Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Magnetic Grocery List

 

 

Today, I made myself a new grocery list for my fridge!  I've had several varieties of magnetic notepads, but they all seem to run out so quickly.  I just get everybody trained to write it down when you use the last of it and them the pad runs out OHHHH!  And of course, it will take me two or three shopping trips to remember to get another one. 

Then on pinterest the other day I saw this huge version of what my grandmother use to keep on her counter top.  http://goodideasforyou.com/mix-a-match/3195-simple-a-brilliant-message-board.html Now I unfortunately, do not have the space in my little kitchen for something this huge and to be honest who wants to carry something that big into the grocery store.  But it did get me to thinking (insert light bulb here!), I could combine the short lived magnetic pad with the long running roll in a good size.  Ta-Dah the answer!


To start I gathered all the thing I thought I would need, with of course a few choices in the paper.  I did end up adding a few more items, but I took a shot of them later to show you.


As you can see I have some foam core, hot glue gun, Goop adhesive, an old Reynolds box, decorative paper, stretchy bands, adhesive tape, an old magnetic sign and adding machine paper. 

I started by deciding how wide and long I wanted my foam board back to be.  Now remember I am doing this for me so I was perfectly happy to eyeball things.  I decided that I wanted it to be almost the entire length of my 12x12 paper.  So I cut the board, traced it out on the paper and attached the paper with my tape runner.  Then it hit me!  How was I going to attach the roll to the foam board, hmmm?  I decided  to pull out some craft wire that I had around (I'm sorry I don't have the gauge, but it is fairly sturdy).  Then I chose two appetizer toothpicks from the cabinet. 
 

I first inserted the toothpicks into the foam board on either side of my roll so I would know the size was right.

Next, I poked the toothpick completely through the foam board (be sure that you put an old magazine or something under it so you don't mar your table).  Then I broke the toothpicks off to about an inch to an inch and a half.  I cut of a fairly long piece of wire and wrapped it around the toothpick several times (maybe 4-6).  I found that a pair of pliers helped.  I put the wire through one of the holes, through the roll, and back through the other hole.  I then repeated the toothpick wrap on the other side.  The reason I did this is to help distribute the pull of the roll across the back of the board and not just on the hole.

Then it was time for the rubber bands.  These are from one of those sets of drink markers.  I'm sure a regular rubber band would work I just like the color of these.  I put one band at the top to hold the paper smoothly and one at the bottom to help keep it down and for tearing.  Now here comes the Reynolds box.  I cut a small portion of the blade (just wider than my paper) off the box and used the Goop to attach it to the band.  This stuff says that it will attach to rubber.  I put it with the blade at the very bottom of the band.


Lastly, I attached the magnetic sheet to the whole thing.  Now I used the same Goop that I had before in the center and hot glue on the outside edge.  Yes, I do want immediate satisfaction, but I would probably use only the Goop next time since I had to VERY careful not to let them touch for fear of some kind of chemical reaction (okay, I am a worry wart, but better safe than sorry).  I then used extra foam board and clamps to hold the glue together around the bands.  I let this sit for about 10-15 minutes then took them off and put some heavy books across the whole thing to finish up drying for a few hours.



Note: I did add a pencil holder from Office Depot.

Check back and I'll show you the Post it version, as well as, a stand alone version.  I am thinking that these could be great teacher gifts or even Grandma gifts.  I am trying to eliminate the useless nick-knacks from my buying list!




1 comment: