Monday, June 16, 2014

Closet Part II - Drawer dividers

In my last post you got to see my wee little closet.  I absolutely  need a change.  So I started with purchasing some Ikea drawers while they were on sale in January.
Now, these are my old ones, but they changed their design just enough that I had to get two new ones in order to stack them.  No worry though, I am going to use these with my sewing stuff.  

I love drawer dividers but to be honest they really start to add up quickly and I am doing this on a very tight budget.  So, I got this one from the Container Store to see how I could go about making something similar.  This is the cheapest one they had.

 Excuse the mess in this shot but I was excitedly already creating when I realized I forgot to take the picture.
The top piece came in the kit and the other two is what I came up with.  Are you curious as to what I used yet?

It is actually, the extra slats from the bottom of my faux wood blinds.  My husband had taken these off to fit better when we were working on the bath.  They worked perfectly!  They cut with scissors and fit together easily.  
Now, you can see that I eyeballed the cuts and made some bigger that other.  The only thing is that once you have done the first for that drawer going either direction you have to use it to mark the others for that drawer.  They do give a little so it doesn't have to be perfect, but try and get as close as possible.  

Once, they are all cut for that drawer assemble it.  I really suggest that you do one drawer at a time so that things don't get mixed up.  Then just start filling it up!
You can see in this picture that the store bought one is really tall.  So I took it out and used only the slats. That gave me enough room to add a dollar store basket with its own slats.
I have really been enjoying them and the fact that I can find things in my drawers is WONDERFUL!  I only have a few left but I plan to make tags for the outside of the drawers.  Maybe that will happen before I finish the closet LOL!

Note:  When you cut the slats you want to actually cut out a notch a little over half the width on both pieces that are going to fit together so that they come together smoothly.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment